Your feet are an important part of your body when it comes to movement and activity. If something’s wrong with them, they can hinder your performance and interfere with your daily life. Thankfully, there’s more than one type of foot and ankle specialist in Singapore that can assist you with foot concerns: podiatrists and orthopaedists.

But which type of doctor should you go to when you’re experiencing foot problems? Should you go to a podiatric or orthopaedic clinic in Singapore? Both podiatrists and orthopaedists are competent and qualified medical professionals that can treat a range of ailments. Let’s check out both of them and figure out which ones suit your situation.


Podiatrists are doctors that are well versed in the science of podiatric medicine. This specialist focuses entirely on the foot and ankle region and can treat a wide variety of skin, nail, and bone conditions such as ingrown nails, gout, fractures, foot wounds, flat feet, and more.


You would call an orthopaedic doctor in Singapore for foot concerns when they specifically affect the musculoskeletal system of your body. Orthopaedics is mostly concerned with ligaments, tendons, muscles, bones, and joint health. Common conditions that orthopaedists treat may be Achilles tendon tears, bunions, hammertoes, fractures, and more.

When would you call an orthopaedist over a podiatrist?

You may notice that the range of conditions that a podiatrist and orthopaedist can overlap. Indeed, a podiatrist may refer you to an orthopaedist and vice versa. But a condition that affects other parts of your skeletal system or muscles, or requires Singapore orthopaedic surgery, will need the help of an orthopaedist. Consult a doctor just to be sure.

For more information about bunion surgery in Singapore and other orthopaedic treatments and procedures concerning your foot and ankle, reach out to specialist orthopaedic in Singapore.